Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Brown Sugar Lasagna!

    


 I tried this recipe (and added the brown sugar of course) this past weekend for our family night dinner and it was a HUGE success!  So I thought I would share the recipe with all of you.  For those of you that don't know, I add a little brown sugar any time I make a spaghetti sauce. I know what your thinking, and I can honestly say I was VERY skeptical at first.  But I assure you, you will LOVE it!  It all started when my husband went to a dinner with our small group last year.  I couldn't go that night and he came home RAVING about the spaghetti.  He just kept saying that all night all he could think was how he wanted to drink the sauce and how he couldn't wait for me to make it for him again.  Honestly, that made me even more skeptical! Those of you that know my husband well know that he LOVES things to be sweet.  And he loves candy! So I was certain I wasn't going to like it but I made it for him anyway because I can't help it...i love the guy and love to see him happy.  And much to my surprise I too fell in love with it and now we eat it about every ten days! [All you do for the spaghetti is add about 3 to 4 tablespoons to your completed red sauce and heat about 5 more minutes.  You can use whatever sauce you like.  Our fav is Ragu Traditional flavored with meat]
   So on to the lasagna... Truly, my husband's absolute favorite meal is lasagna.  Honestly, I really don't like lasagna but I eat it for him from time to time.  But he asked if I would make it soon so I decided it would be fun to make one from scratch.  I found this recipe and it looked easy to make and was not too unhealthy so I thought I would give it a shot.  It was great!  Give it a try and see if your surprised!!  The whole pan (13x9 dish) is about 1200 calories and it only took about 15-20 minutes to prepare.




Here's the recipe:


1 pk of lasagna noodles prepared according to the box  (it takes about 10 prepared noodles)
1 medium jar of spaghetti sauce (I used Ragu flavored with mushroom and garlic)
1 bag of shredded mozzarella
1 bag of shredded Italian blend cheeses
1 package of sliced Mozzarella (deil sauce)
2 lbs ground meat (browned)


1. Brown the ground beef and drain the fat
2. Cook the noodles
3. Mix the 2 bags of shredded cheese together
4. Add spaghetti sauce to meat and heat.
5. Add 4 Tablespoons of brown sugar to meat sauce, stir and cook another 3-4 minutes
6. Layer your 13x9 pan as follows:  sauce first, then noodles covering the dish, then sauce, then a layer of the mixed shredded cheese, layer with noodles, sauce, cheese, noodles, sauce, then top with the sliced mozzarella.
7. Cover with foil and cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
8. Take the foil off and cook additional 5 minutes.
9. Eat and enjoy :) 

1 comment:

  1. We have added your Brown Sugar ingredient since you first told us and love it. I love the idea to add it to lasagna. I'll have to share that with the misses.

    ReplyDelete